Archiving Conference 2019
14.05.2019 – 18.05.2019 in Lissabon
In May 2019 the annual IS&T Archiving Conference will take place at the University of Lisbon. Goobi will be there on 14.05.2019 with a Short Course:
This course enables the attendee to:
- Install Goobi and setup workflows to manage digitization projects.
- Understand how Goobi is used in different user roles.
- Enrich digitized objects with detailed metadata and structure information.
- Configure easy validation rules to guarantee a minimum quality of the digitized objects (files and metadata).
- Automatically ingest digitized objects into a Fedora repository.
- Publish digitized objects with metadata and structure data in standardized formats as a digital library including METS files and IIIF Manifests.
The subtitle of this course is “How to set up and use your own Goobi instance to digitize and publish your objects via IIIF in less than 30 minutes” which says it all. The course explains how the Goobi software suite (Goobi workflow and Goobi viewer) is used to manage small and even big digitization projects. Attendees learn how to install the Goobi-to-go environment on their own computers and adapt the software to customize workflows, including tasks for automatic jobs, validation, conversion, and metadata enrichment. Attendees also learn how processed digitized objects can be ingested automatically into a Fedora repository and how to publish the results within the Goobi viewer as a digital library system based on automatically generated METS files and IIIF Presentation Manifests.
Participants must bring their own laptops (Windows, Mac, or Linux) for this hands-on session. Please make sure that your computer has Java 8 installed to be able to use Goobi. If needed, meet with instructors prior to the class to prepare your computer.
Anyone interested in managing digitization projects, no matter their size. No technical skills are required to attend this short course.
For all areas that we will cover in the workshop, we have put together some notes here that will allow you to follow the contents shown step-by-step.